The Appellate Body is quite busy these days, with the Aircraft cases and various others. Perhaps that explains why they are looking for some help:
Vacancy Notice No.: EXT/F/11-15
Title: Legal Officer
Contract Type: Fixed-term
Starting Salary: CHF 94,400 net per annum (approximate)
Issued On: 15 April 2011
(9 day(s) until closing date)
Currently accepting applications
Application Deadline: 13 May 2011
Division: Appellate Body Secretariat
Duration: Two years, with the possibility of extension
In accordance with WTO Staff Regulations and Staff Rules and WTO Pension Plan Regulations. The World Trade Organization offers an attractive compensation package including an annual net salary (subject to mandatory deductions for pension contributions and health insurance), dependency benefits, pension plan, health insurance scheme, separation grant and 30 days annual leave. Benefits for internationally recruited staff may include travel and removal expenses on appointment and separation, installation grant, education grant, rental subsidy and home leave.
Additional information on the compensation package is provided on the WTO website:
The Secretariat of the WTO is seeking to fill a position of Legal Officer in the Appellate Body Secretariat. Serving staff members interested in the position are also invited to apply.
Under the supervision of the Director of the Appellate Body Secretariat, the incumbent will assist in providing legal advice and support to the Appellate Body. The tasks include:
1. Assisting Appellate Body Members with the conduct of appeals.
2. Participating as a member of teams organized to carry out tasks associated with the conduct of appeals.
3. Assisting in the preparation of legal background documents and analyses on the WTO agreements and the dispute settlement rules.
4. Researching and drafting memoranda and legal analyses in the fields of international trade law and public international law generally.
5. Assisting arbitrators in the conduct of arbitrations on the reasonable period of time for implementation.
6. Participating in WTO training activities and giving presentations at conferences as appropriate.
7. Performing such other tasks related to the work of the Appellate Body and its Secretariat as may be required.
An advanced university degree in law, including studies in international trade law and public international law is required. Studies in economics would be an asset.
Excellent research skills and the ability to pay close attention to detail; the ability to work independently as well as cooperate with others in a diverse international setting; and the ability to meet strict deadlines within a dynamic work environment.
At least three years of relevant practical experience in the area of international trade law. Experience in national or international trade-related litigation and/or within judicial institutions or quasi-judicial agencies would be an asset.
Excellent English, including a demonstrated ability to write accurately, concisely, clearly and within tight deadlines. Good knowledge of French and/or Spanish is highly desirable.
The position may be offered at a lower grade if the selected candidate does not fully meet all the required qualifications.
Only applications from nationals of WTO Members will be accepted.